His Blog

His Blog

Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Towels and Toothbrushes

10/12/15
We have hung both of our towels on the same rack for years now. A few days after he passed away I took the towel he had been using and put it in the laundry. There was now more room for my towel and it would be able to dry faster that way. I'll wash the towel, put it back in the drawer, and use it some other time. Simple. Done.
A couple of days later, I noticed his toothbrush. Hmm...that will never get used again...I guess I could throw it away. Sounds logical, right? Nope. Didn't happen. I couldn't do it. A toothbrush? I'm sure he was rolling his eyes. I haven't been able to do it since then either. So...his toothbrush will stay right where it is until I'm up for tossing it. It might gather a bit of dust - but, whatever.
It's odd how things seem unpredictable. Logic says one things and the heart says another. I guess that's the way it has been for centuries. I just didn't know how much it included simple household objects like towels and toothbrushes.

2 comments:

  1. I completely support never throwing it away. These are things you just don't think about before you're in the thick of it. I can't tell you how hard it was to delete his email address from my family group. It felt disloyal and insensitive...but I thought it might be worse for you to see his name on every distribution list that came through. It was a real struggle for me, and I am only the sister-in-law... I am totally with you on keeping the toothbrush!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Listen. Layne is still around, but you don't have to see or pay any attention to his eye rolls! :-) You do whatever you want with that toothbrush! Whatever makes you happy. xoxo

    ReplyDelete