His Blog

His Blog

Saturday, October 31, 2015

Headstone Accomplishment

I started to think that I should just get it done. I had first thought to give myself up to a year to get the details worked out. After visiting his grave - I knew I needed to get it done sooner. I was grateful I had someone that had offered/agreed/committed to help financially with this specific purchase.
I had thought to look into other companies for the product. The cemetery is about an hour away from our house. (Another story - but, definitely for another time.) The other companies I had in mind were closer to the cemetery than our home. The thought was to go in for information and possible ordering when I was down in the area. I didn't necessarily want to drive down just to visit the companies on site. (I had looked at websites but they didn't have the information I needed for a specific order. I was going to need to go in.) The occasions that got me close by ended up not working out for me to get things done and I would end up going back home without accomplishing the task. It was partly logistics and partly not wanting to deal with it when I was there. It might be that one has to be emotionally in the right place to order a headstone for a loved one (and oneself).
I was checking details from the original pre-order that we did with the mortuary one night. I was thinking about the fact that it seemed to cost a little more than the other places did - by this time a sister-in-law had called both of the places I had in mind and had gotten a basic quote or two. She shared the information with me and that's when I realized that the other places would be less expensive for seemingly the same product. I was trying to figure out scheduling and when I could get to the locations to find out more information and place an order. While I was looking at the order sheet a thought came to me..."just get it done"... I think Layne was tired of my back and forth lack of action taken. I knew he wanted the task accomplished and that I should just go with the original company because that's what would be the easiest and what we had already planned. I called the next day to make an appointment with the sales gal that I had been introduced to when at the mortuary taking care of funeral details. I was thinking the appointment was going to be at the location I had gone to before. It was actually about a 25-30 minute drive. That was more than I'd hoped for - but, I still ended up being fine with it. I was just happy to be moving forward. I went to the appointment, made decisions, and left feeling really good. One thing I was pleased with was that according to the information I had - what I ordered was a little less than what I remembered the quote being from one of the other companies - and there was even a bigger difference for the other company. I remembered leaving and thinking that I knew for sure that the original order we did was definitely more. I attempted a dignified response when being shown the price and knowing it was significantly less then what I recall the number to be on the original order. I witnessed a little miracle. I just felt very blessed. I was so grateful that things worked out the way they did. Everything just fell into place. I kept trying to make it work the way I thought it was supposed to work. When I just decided to go a certain route it all worked out just as needed.
(End note: I mentioned a pre-order a couple of times. If an order is put together before the person dies - there's a better deal because you planned ahead. The order we did originally was thought to be at a little bit of a discount. Thus, part of the reason I wasn't expecting the cost to be half to two-thirds the number that I had in my head.)

3 comments:

  1. This is a miracle--a series of miracles! I am glad you have people willing and able to help in various ways, and I'm glad you found what you wanted (without roses!). It touches my heart to no end when I think of these "thought" coming to you straight from Layne. I love it that he's nearby. The phrase, "Everything just fell into place" turns my thoughts to tender mercies and the way that the Lord cares for us in the details of our lives, even when things haven't turned out how we hoped in the larger sense. PS I've missed your frequent blog posts and was so glad to get some updates this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Layne is pleased you pushed through and got it done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great. It must have felt so good to just move forward and get it done! I'm sure it's a beautiful headstone.

    ReplyDelete