His Blog

His Blog

Saturday, October 31, 2015

Headstone Background

I ordered our headstone on Thursday. I'm pleased with how it worked out. This is kind of three parts...one is a little background, the second is my efforts to accomplish the task and the third is about what I chose to put on the headstone and why.
I have been thinking about getting this accomplished since Layne passed away. We had talked a bit about what to put on it and other details surrounding the decision. We decided to do a double headstone and not to do anything too extravagant or showy. He also didn't seem to want anything on there that was just going to fill up space. I asked about roses one time and he shook his head, rolled his eyes, and smiled. No roses. The answer was not a big deal. I already knew what he would say. I was also fine with the answer. I didn't feel any need to have roses on there either. I wasn't quite sure what to put on - besides the basic information. I knew there should be something else...just not sure what to have that be.
I had a thought to have it done for our anniversary (November 16th). Those of you who know anything about this are laughing right now. I understand. For those who don't know why that was a silly thought - here in Utah they have crazy requirements...such as no snow on the ground when they place the headstone. So unreasonable, right?:} I think there was something else. I was told that anything ordered after September 1 is given a 'not until the spring' guarantee. So, chances are it won't be happening in another couple of weeks. (I also probably ordered a bit late to make that happen in the first place.)
One other detail - we included the headstone in the package deal we put together with the funeral home. When we were quoted a price for the specifics it seemed like we might have been able to do something a little less expensive. But, at the time it seemed easier to just go with what we already had done. When it came time to pay for the funeral I needed to cut costs a little. So, I took off the order for the headstone. I figured I could take care of it later...once I had more cash available. It would also give me time to decide what to put on it when my head was a little more clear.

1 comment:

  1. Trust me, when I am reading a post about choosing a headstone, I am not laughing--regardless if I know about the snow rules or not! This must have been an overwhelming and heart-wrenching decision, and I am proud of you for just moving forward despite how difficult it was.

    ReplyDelete