His Blog

His Blog

Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Being Present

This week-end. I remember being in Houston last year. It seems odd that a year ago we were just starting to travel to Texas for Layne's treatments. I was thinking about how I missed going to the Women's Session of General Conference with my girls. They had a grandmother here for them. But, I missed going with them and sharing that experience. There are other things I'm remembering missing out on as well with the kids. I'm glad we're in town this year. The traveling got old pretty quickly. I like being with the kids. I want to be present for them. I know they need the support. There are times I still miss out on the fun things my kids get to do because others have been kind enough to take them places and do things with them while I'm here with Layne. I'm glad they're getting to experience things. I just miss experiencing those things with them. I also feel like there are times when I need and want to do more with them and Layne has a more immediate need - or there are other items that need to be taken care of immediately. I need to figure out a way to be more present with the kids.

1 comment:

  1. Teresa, the best church talk I ever heard (well, one of the best anyway) was by Elder Bednar. We had a regional Priesthood Leadership meeting at the Conference Center and he took questions from the congregation. Someone asked about how to balance everything and he said it is impossible to find perfect balance in everything. He said it is all about spinning plates and you give your attention to the plate that needs the most attention to keep it spinning. Right now that is Layne. You have great kids and they are surrounded by people that love them and will be there for them while you are helping Layne. When Layne is gone (although as you know it will only be a temporary absence) you will not regret spending this time with him and being a comfort and support to him. There will be time when his trial has ended to focus on being there for your children. But, don't forget to lean on those who love you for support as well.

    Hope you don't mind the unsolicited advice.

    Kevin

    ReplyDelete