His Blog

His Blog

Thursday, January 21, 2016

Four Months

This morning I thought about the fact that tomorrow will be four months since Layne's death. Sometimes it seems like it was another life time ago. Other times it doesn't seem real and I wonder if I'll ever wrap my head around the fact that he's gone. I feel like I've mostly just been going through the motions. Well, some days. Some days I feel like I don't even want to do that. It's odd how when he was healthy, we were used to having him gone during the day. Now it feels different. In a way it's as if he's just gone for the day - in a way I have to remember that he's never coming back. That's the hard part. He's not coming back. It's not as if we can pretend he's just on a business trip or working out of town for awhile. He won't be coming home at the end of the work day...or after his run...or back from a meeting at the church. He's gone. I don't like that. Sometimes I want him to come back - even if it's just for a hug and a quick conversation. But, I know that can't happen. Other people are kind and give me hugs and I appreciate them...but, it's just not the same. I know life will never be the same and I'm not sure what to do with that or how to react. I don't know what life is supposed to look like anymore. I don't even know how to figure that out. I just know that life will truly never be the same.

5 comments:

  1. Oh, this breaks my heart and I know you are exactly right. Life will never be the same. Hopefully it can still be good in other ways that you figure out as life goes on for you. I was thinking just now of the "four-month" date as well, which is why I pulled up your blog to check it. Please know I'm thinking about you, and I always will on the 22nd. Hugs and love to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man...I can't even imagine how hard this is for you and your kids! It sucks and there's just no way around that! Know that there are lots of us thinking about you today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man...I can't even imagine how hard this is for you and your kids! It sucks and there's just no way around that! Know that there are lots of us thinking about you today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're right, it will never be the same. And I don't think you need to know what to do with that information any time soon. I think it's fine. I'm just really sorry that on the 22nd I wasn't there for you, even to send you a text to say I was thinking about you. I was too busy thinking about how to get to Philly and back safely with Danny. So I was a little self-centered that day, and I apologize. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. People talk about a new normal. You're right, the new normal will never be the same. I think you're doing remarkably well considering. It's important to have these awful moments of clarity, grief and confusion. I've also seen in you the power of gratitude and the closeness of the spirit. You are my hero and are in my prayers. Love you Teresa

    ReplyDelete