His Blog

His Blog

Monday, February 25, 2013

Tick Tock

February 16, 2013

Cancer seems to take so long to figure out. There are times I think Layne is a human science experiment. I'm sure that if we did a survey, most cancer patients would feel that way. It would be great if there were a set of treatments that worked for everyone, you did them and you were done. I'm sure if we could figure that out - we'd save lives, improve the quality of life for many and even make a few bucks in the process. But alas, it doesn't work that way.
One of the things that continues to amaze me is the time it takes for each step along the way. For example, when Layne first had a colonoscopy to attempt an assessment of what was going on, the cancer was found. I don't think surgery happened for another month. (I'll have to check the calendar, but I really think it took about that long.)
The reality is that as we're trying to figure out what's going on - time keeps moving forward. Time is not something that's on the side of the cancer patient. There are other things we'd love to be doing with our time together besides chemo treatments. There are other things we'd love to spend our money on.
When we first learned that Layne would be taking some time away from work, we thought we could travel a little bit (not very far or very often) with our family. It doesn't really work that way. The schedule has to work around chemo and the finances have to work around treatments, prescriptions, and travel for more surgery/treatments.
It might sound like a complaint, but it's really not. It's just the way it is. I'm glad we do get to have chances to get out and do a couple of things. We'll have the opportunity to go to Hawaii, get the kids to Disneyland (we think), head to Seattle, and maybe even head to Southern Utah in order to see the sights (and family). (We haven't done much planning on the last one or another trip to CA to see Layne's folks.)
Amidst all the rambling, I think the point is that as we're busy living our lives in a way that we hope will help Layne be around a little longer - we're also aware of the fact that it all takes time. And, that is something I wish we had more of to work with right now.



3 comments:

  1. Me too. But in the meantime, HAVE SO MUCH FUN IN HAWAII! I expect some serious blos posts with pictures when you get back. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and your family have been on my mind. So, so, so glad that you have this blog. I can keep up to date and check here first before asking questions you might hear multiple times daily. I hear how hard this challenge has been; I also hear--even louder--how strong you all are, how conscious you are of every extra moment/day/week, how grateful for blessings big and small, how centered. You are in my prayers. And I'm so thankful that they've been answered so far. Much love, Monique (Jacquie) Archbold

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the kind thoughts and support. We are so very grateful for all of those who have shown love/support and concern. It's easier to move forward when we know others are behind us. Love to all.

    ReplyDelete