His Blog

His Blog

Sunday, February 17, 2013

Extended Miracle

In Relief Society today we discussed the Holy Ghost. When the question was asked about a time when we benefitted from someone else following a prompting, I couldn't think of anything. I knew there had to be something - but, nothing came to mind until later in the lesson when something that was said reminded me of Layne's surgery in June.
The surgeon had taken out all of the tumors he had seen. The typical protocol is to just leave them in and let the chemo take care of them. At the time I was grateful that he had done it. The doctor had made it very clear that he just 'felt right' about doing it, so he did. I remember thinking that I was glad he had and that even if it had no medical ramifications, it gave me some peace to know that all that was visible had been taken out.
Since our conversation, Layne has had tumors return and they have grown. The time in between the two scans was only about two weeks. The tumors found were smaller than what the surgeon had removed. I was grateful again at that time that they had all been removed during surgery.
The Holy Ghost reminded me again today that he had prompted that surgeon to do what was best for this scenario. We didn't know anything about Layne's type of cancer at the time. We didn't realize how aggressive it is or how quickly the masses would grow. If the original tumors had not been removed, I truly feel like there's a possibility Layne would already be gone.
Today, I'm even more grateful. I realized even more how important it was for that to happen. It's great to feel peace about something. It's even greater to know that in my ignorance it really wasn't about me feeling good about it. (Although, it's a nice side gig.) The knowledge we didn't have at that time made it so we couldn't have realized what a great blessing it would be medically also. Those tumors were large and would have grown and spread rapidly. Someone, somewhere knew that even more than the surgeon did. They needed to come out, or there would have been some serious consequences. At the time, there was no reason to believe that it was anything more than the slower growing, generic cancer. (Which would be great right about now.) It was very clear to me that I was being reminded that there is someone who knows the future...and each of us in a very personal way.

3 comments:

  1. I am so proud of you for remembering the tender mercies and blessings in the midst of this wretched situation. Check out my friend's post today about little tender mercies in the midst of really hard things: http://www.seriousmomsense.com/2013/02/may-odds-be-ever-in-our-favor.html?showComment=1361389913348#c7014760391803450195

    My thoughts are with Layne in Houston right now! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I had not even thought about that. So grateful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a great blessing. I haven't attempted the link yet, but will do so soon.
    I'm grateful too! It kind of makes me laugh to think that at first I thought it was a nice idea to be comforted. Whatever. It's even better to still have him around.

    ReplyDelete