His Blog

His Blog

Saturday, July 7, 2012

Warm and Fuzzy

The surgeon (Dr. Sklow) that took out part of Layne's colon is not known for being 'warm and fuzzy'. We had heard that from several people and continue to hear it. I think he's great. I love that he took out all the cancer he could see. I really like that he listens. When I spoke with him after the surgery, it was just the two of us. He waited after asking me if I had any other questions. When I did ask questions, he made sure I understood the answer. He was very much engaged in the conversation. There was no feeling of him being in a hurry or needing to be somewhere more important. He showed me pictures of Layne's colon and surrounding area that he had taken with his ipod. I now know what it's like to see cancer inside someone you love. Kind of cool actually. How many people can say that? You know someone truly wants you to understand when they look you in the eye and ask if you understand what they're saying. I got the message that he knew it would take time to process what I was being told. But, I appreciate that he took the time to talk to me. It's a conversation I feel good about...not because of the content - but, rather in spite of the content. I knew he wasn't able to get emotionally involved in every patient's story and yet I felt a human side of him that came out as I knew he really wanted me to know what was going on and that they really had done all they could. I was given the impression that he truly wanted a cure and that he was determined to have things work out for us.



No comments:

Post a Comment