His Blog

His Blog

Thursday, July 5, 2012

Mean, Median and Mode

These are things you learn about in Elementary School. Today, they took on a new meaning. Layne talked with the oncologist. One of the things he was able to find out had to do with survival rates. We were told when we met with him last week that survival rate for colon cancer is 20% within the first five years. (It's much better than the 8% we found in a study from 2004. We were hoping the odds were better now. So, that was a good thing.) We were happy to hear that it was better than we'd thought and moved on to another topic. Layne was told this time that the mean for his situation is 20 to 24 months. That seems so much different to me! When five year survival rates are discusses...I think 5 years. I don't think anytime between now and five years from now. Hearing your husband will be around for up to 2 years is much different than hearing five years. I know both eventually come...but, five years seems much further away than two. I spent a good part of the day processing that and having a few tears run down my face to match the rain that was coming down outside.




7 comments:

  1. There are NO WORDS to tell you how sorry I am. We just keep praying for a miracle. We love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I could fathom thinking about five years or two years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post knocked the wind out of me. I can only imagine how it felt for you guys. This has to feel so surreal...

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's been a long time since I was in elementary school...but I get it. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Teresa, I can't even think of words. This post has stunned me. We have such wonderful memories of you and Layne..and even though it's been a while since we've seen you, we still think the world of both of you and consider you good friends. I hope you know that he is in our prayers daily and we are praying for a miracle!!! Love to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't even know what to say. We love you guys so much. We're praying for you all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was given the same statistics when I was diagnosed with it. Although it came back last year, it is been 3 1/2 years since I was first diagnosed, and I'm still here fighting...

    ReplyDelete