His Blog

His Blog

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Getting Emotional

I attended a bridal shower for my niece at the beginning of the month. I almost didn't go - I am naturally very glad I decided to show up. I love her lots! I was able to associate with a great group of women...all relatives to this fabulous soon to be newlywed.
At one point, she was sharing about how she and her fiancé had gone to see the some of the lights around Christmas time. It reminded me of Layne and I when we were first dating and then the first holiday season we were married. We would drive around and look at the lights. I started to feel tears come to my eyes and felt a lump in my throat. I quickly made myself be in control and forced myself not to say anything. I didn't want to ruin the fun moment for her or the other guests.
It seems that lately emotions are closer to the surface than I'm used to them being. I have always been known as 'even tempered'. I've never been overly dramatic about anything...except maybe when I'm doing a 'happy dance' about someone else's good news. I have had a lifetime of practice when it comes to keeping my emotions under control - possibly even hidden. These days - sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't work out so well. We'll see what the future holds.

5 comments:

  1. You are entitled to cry and to cry hard. Don't hide it. Don't hold it back. It's an important part of this process that you are going through! And, it's really important for your kids to see that it's OK to cry. You don't have to cry as much as I would since I cry basically at the drop of a hat....BUT cry! Love you tons!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you still came❤ I loved having you there. You amaze me!! Love, a different Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you still came❤ I loved having you there. You amaze me!! Love, a different Jen

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you still came❤ I loved having you there. You amaze me!! Love, a different Jen

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so agree with Jen above. Cry all you need to. No judgement will be coming from ANYONE. And you would never be ruining things for others. Everyone wants to be there for you. Lots of love, C.

    ReplyDelete