His Blog

His Blog

Saturday, December 8, 2012

Results from Houston visit

The trip to Houston was good.  I enjoyed meeting some new friends, loved the Texas BBQ, and the weather sure beats Salt Lake City in December.

The oncologists at MD Anderson told me they are not sure yet whether I am a candidate for HIPEC.  They had two concerns that would need to be addressed before I could receive the treatment.  One is that they don't think my current chemotherapy is working, and HIPEC would not be effective without a chemo treatment that stops the cancer.  The other concern was that I may have cancer near my bladder in a place where they could not surgically remove it, again making the HIPEC ineffective.  I think Teresa mentioned these things in her recent posts.

Anyway, I will meet with my oncologist here in Salt Lake on Tuesday and do a session of chemo on Wednesday.  I think the plan is try another kind of chemo, and then follow up with scans again in a few months to see how things are working. 

Layne

3 comments:

  1. Layne,

    Your ability (probably part of what drew you to science as a vocation!) to approach this so matter-of-factly is stunning. I also love how you can find the silver linings: Texas BBQ and great weather! Let me just say that we've got those things going all the time here and y'all are welcome to visit anytime!!!!! I'm sure Teresa and the kids are so grateful to have you home. Love you! Carolynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the update Layne. We sure love ya, and yes, Texas BBQ is always a winner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just tonight Chris was saying people didn't know how to do bbq here in Seattle. I pointed out they didn't know how to do Texas bbq, which is different from others, and that's all he knows, so let's be clear. We walked through the Carolinas, Kansas City, etc.

    Ok, one other very important topic--it's 39 degrees at the moment in Flower Mound and 42 in Bellevue, we'll take it because that's unfortunately rare.

    Now that we've got the important topics out of the way, thanks for the update on Houston. I've been anxious to hear. Quite disturbing to hear that the chemo isn't working and there may be more. One step at a time, one steady faith-filled step into the darkness knowing, just knowing that somewhere there is light--question is where and when. But somewhere there is light, I am sure of that.

    ReplyDelete