His Blog

His Blog

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

HIPEC Assessment

This was written previously. It's the post I referred to on the November 20th post. I was going to share more background information...but, Layne's post gives explanation and this is just more of my reaction to it.
Layne found out today that he is scheduled for a HIPEC assessment the first week of December. You might be asking, 'What is HIPEC and why is it being considered?'. It was something that was discussed when treatment was first being determined. It was decided against because it is invasive and it's not nationally approved. They only do the tried and true approved treatment at Huntsman. The results of the last scan that was done means that Layne may or may not have some new masses growing. It was suggested that HIPEC be looked into again. The doctor knows someone in Houston that does it. All I know is that it scares me. I'm not sure it guarantees much, it's hard on the body, is expensive (not sure insurance will cover it) and takes awhile to recover. I grieved all over again today about him dying and what that means for me, our family and the future. The girls have asked me several times tonight if I'm alright. The boys/Layne are gone scuba diving. (Layne's going as an 'adult on the surface'.)
There are times I try not to think about what is going to eventually happen and it's been awhile since it hit me hard. Tonight was just one of those times.
Layne doesn't seem to be a bit concerned. He thinks it's available...so why not try it? It seems to be the scientist in him.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Teresa. Huge hugs. This treatment sounds scary and painful, but is it alright that I have great hope for it? The results seem to be pretty impressive if they're successful. But if I were in your shoes? I'd be scared to death. I'm right here, if you need me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're going to hope for the best. Thanks Becca.

    ReplyDelete