His Blog

His Blog

Thursday, December 25, 2014

True Meaning of Christmas

This morning we read The Living Christ before we started opening presents. We took turns reading the different paragraphs. Layne read the last one and was emotional before he finished. That usually gets me started too. He shared his testimony and how he's so grateful for a Savior because he knows it's the only way he'll be able to see us again. He then talked about feeling and recognizing the spirit because we could feel the Holy Ghost was there. Megan had suggested before we started that we pray after reading it (loved that idea/love my kids)...so, we did that and the kids were ready to start with the gifts. I asked for just a second or two to say something. They were kind and sat to listen. I then told them about how I was so grateful dad was here with us today and even if it's the last Christmas we get to have him around, I'm very glad I know we'll get to see him again. I shared with them that I know that can only happen because of what Christ has done for us and that I will be eternally grateful. As soon as I said I was done...the kids really were ready to go. Layne went over by the tree and started to hand out presents. The kids had done pretty well - we had already had breakfast and the girls were already dressed and ready for the day. The kids had checked out what was in their stockings...but, other than that they hadn't done a thing with the gifts that were surrounding the tree. It's been different for us to have just our family together this year at our house. This is the first year we've done that since we've lived here (6 years) so it's a new thing for us.

2 comments:

  1. Teresa I am glad you shared this with others as it really helps us all get our perspective in order. I loved the idea of reading "'the Living Christ" any time but especially before we start on material presents. It emphasizes that he is the greatest gift of all. For your family it had added meaning and we are grateful you shared that as well.
    Love and admire you and your family so much,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really beautiful! It sounds like it was a perfect year for you to choose to celebrate Christmas morning on your own. We read The Living Christ Christmas night as part of our celebration (at your suggestion), and it was great, but we definitely didn't have the same kind of experience you did. The difference reminded me that huge trials like the one you are facing can also open the door to some incredible spiritual experiences, if we let them. Thanks for sharing this beautiful post. Love you!

    ReplyDelete