His Blog

His Blog

Friday, April 18, 2014

Always a Runner

I was thinking this morning about Layne running his 5K tomorrow. I was reminded of him running a full marathon in 2011. He was all set to run a Ragnar in 2012. But, ended up having surgery the day before instead of being with his team. (He was hoping he could have the surgery and then still run after recovering. It was about a month from the time we found out he needed a surgery until the time he actually was scheduled for it. I guess he thought two or three weeks was enough time to recover from a surgery and still compete in a Ragnar. When it took some time to get the surgery scheduled, he started thinking that maybe - just maybe - the surgery would be after the race. No such luck.)
Our stake has a 5K they've sponsored for the community the last several years. In 2013, our family ran/walked it together. Layne wasn't doing any running at the time. I remember it was very hard to watch someone I love - that considers themselves a runner - not be able to run a 5K. It was hard realizing he really struggled with the fact that he just wasn't able to do it. A harsh reality for someone who used to consider a 5K enough to count for an 'easy' day of exercise, but certainly not a challenge. The challenge would be in trying for a faster time or some other personal best...not the distance.
This year, 2014, he'll be running the 5K that goes along with the Salt Lake marathon. Jacob will be running with him. It's interesting to me that there's something to remember from each year. I wonder what 2015 will bring. (Maybe I'll try (walking) one with him.) I'm reminded that 'once a runner, always a runner'.

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad he ran it and that he ran it with Jake! What an accomplishment! xo

    ReplyDelete