His Blog

His Blog

Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Future Plans

We dropped the boys off tonight for an event at the library. The girls had come with us because Layne was at a meeting. When we started back home, one of the girls mentioned that she missed the boys already. We started talking about spending time with family...and, the fact that all of them will eventually move out when they are adults. They weren't sure about the idea. I told them that their Dad and I would miss them when they were gone. I was reminded that by that time Layne will be gone and it would just be me that missed having the kids around that I get to spend time with each day. It sounded a bit lonely. I didn't mention anything to them about it. They might have asked why Dad would be gone and I'd have to explain about cancer and dying again. Instead, the conversation was turned to the future and the dreams they have for it. It'll be interesting to see what they choose.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for being willing to share your most poignant thoughts. It is heartbreaking to think of these things, yet I am once again reminded of the blessing it was that you were inspired to home-school your kids. You have had more time as a family together over the past few years by far than you would have if you wouldn't have made that choice. I think this great amount of time together will prove to be a such strength to them as they do grow up and move forward with their lives. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am also grateful for the time we've had to homeschool and be together as a family. I'm glad that the kids are old enough to be able to have the memories we've tried to make and establish a relationship with their dad.

      Delete