His Blog

His Blog

Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Care Giver

I've been going to Houston with Layne for his treatments every other week. I'm continually amazed what a great job Layne does in keeping track of what medication/drug he needs to take when and the details that go along with them (food/no food, what kind of food, how many hours apart). He also keeps track of what's happening with the different steps of the treatment process. He's been fabulous about keeping on top of the finances and what needs to happen with all of the bills/expenses that go along with what is happening these days (and the last couple of years). Oh...he's also the one that schedules our flights and takes care of some of our travel details.
Layne is good with names and is on a first name basis (when titles aren't used) with several of those that work at both Huntsman and MD Anderson. He also does things like make sure he goes in to work for a few hours a week, serves the youth in our ward, and attempts to spend time with the kids.
I'm not sure I do much to have a Care Giver title. He does most everything on his own. Well, except when he's just had chemo - he actually lets me help. I get to do things like drive him home and take care of whatever random side affects are making an appearance that day. I do a few other things - just not as much as some other care givers do. Layne likes to be independent. I'll take it for now. I know when I'm doing everything he's going to be in pain, exhausted, and fading all at once.

3 comments:

  1. Hey guys

    Just thought I'd post a comment to say I always read the blog posts even though I never comment on any. The Papins love to keep up on how you guys are doing, Theresa, so thanks for taking the time to write the posts. Give Layne a big hug for me. Please let us know if there's ever anything the Papins can do.

    Jason

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sure you do so very much more than you realize, and I'm grateful Layne can still manage to do as much as he is despite the intense pain/discomfort of the cancer AND the treatments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jason. We love your family as well. We're grateful for the support.
    Carolynn. Thanks for the thoughts. Yes, I think both of us might have a longer list than each of us might think.

    ReplyDelete