His Blog

His Blog

Friday, December 20, 2013

What Will I Do?

Today is one of those days where things have caught up with me and I just want a few minutes to cry. Yesterday Layne helped to get a large oatmeal container open. It was being opened for the first time and I just wasn't getting it open. I was glad he was around and helped. I asked him what I was going to do when he was gone and then we hugged and moved on with our day. Later in the day I thought the same thing while we were kissing. And, I had the thought this morning too when I smelled some of his clothes. I had smelled one of my own shirts to determine if I needed to toss it in the laundry or not. Then, the thought came to me about others smelling the clothes of a lost loved one or holding a sentimental item. That's how I ended up on Layne's side of the closet smelling his clothes. I didn't expect that I would start to cry. I can't imagine his half of the closet empty...or getting rid of his things. Maybe I'll have something that I keep - just to remember.
This morning I realized I would miss joking around with him and that I would miss his laugh. I will miss the snuggling, the intimacy, and someone to keep me warm at night. I will miss his help with the kids, our family, the income, the home, and the yard. I will miss being part of a couple. I'm not sure what it feels like to be identified as an individual anymore. (No, I don't mean in a 'I'm not whole without him' or 'I don't know who I am' kind of way - it's more of a 'just what I've gotten used to' kind of thing. I don't really remember how to be single and certainly don't know what it's like to be a widow at this point.)
On the other side of the coin, maybe some of my emotions are coming from being the 'not quite as organized as I'd like be' kind of person that makes me panic and just a bit stressed as Christmas approaches and I'm not ready. I'm sure there's more than just thinking about losing my husband that's making me a bit weepy. Although, at the same time - that reason could stand on its own.
Time to go do something happy - or at least something productive. Or, maybe I'll start small and cry before moving on with my day. Because I don't want to leave on a sad note - maybe I could start with appreciating the beautiful day outside. It snowed all day yesterday - so, today we're starting with a layer of beautiful snow, a clear blue sky, and sunshine. I love the chance for a fresh start after a gloomy day.

5 comments:

  1. Teresa, I weep with you. There are no words big enough to bring peace to your sorrow as you look to the future. I hope you can focus on enjoying the present, even if you're not as ready as you'd like to be for Christmas (I don't think anybody I know is this year, including me). I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so grateful you are healthyand strong enough to be so transparently honest. We love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Teresa, I really wish you did not have to muse about life without your partner. I am amazed at your ability to see blessings like a beautiful day. In regards to Christmas prep, so it's not just me that has to mask my terror as a child excitedly counts down on an advent calendar and says "Mom, FOUR more days until Christmas!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so good! Pure GOOD! Love you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks to all for the support. I'm impressed people are still reading. We're doing one day at a time around here.

    ReplyDelete