His Blog

His Blog

Sunday, October 7, 2012

General Conference

Great week-end! I always look forward to General Conference. I'm never disappointed. This time was the first time ever that our whole family watched all four sessions in the same room. Occasionally, we have been in different rooms for multiple reasons. I like to be upstairs, a couple of the kids like to be downstairs because the screen is bigger, the kids will switch around because it seems to give them more to think about, it gives us a chance to 'divide and conquer'. This time, we did have a bigger screen upstairs. (We actually have a flat screen now...I'm sure it's the smallest size possible.) It's an improvement over the tiny screen TV we used to have in the front room. (It's quite probable that it's the size some people use in their vehicles to entertain children sitting in the back.)
So, we now have a larger screen, comfortable couches and kids that can actually sit still the whole time. (Or, at least most of the whole time.) They did a great job. I was so impressed. I don't think any of them even thought about the items that we used to use to entertain them. If they thought about it, no one said anything. Layne thanked them tonight and mentioned a couple of things I used to get out for them. They all said they had forgotten. (I'm going to continue to pretend that they loved it when I did those things. The effort was worth it. Right?) I think the only thing they would have changed is to have candy while they watched. But, they're always looking for an excuse on that one. Candy in the front room? Are you kidding me? They know better. (At least while Mom is watching.)
Jonny went to the Priesthood session for the first time. It was a great experience for him. It was fun to talk with them after they got back. The girls and I had a lovely evening all on our own. The first time...and, luckily not the last. I'm looking forward to having it be a special time just for us. We talked about the conference also. I almost didn't ask. I finally did while they were eating (late, of course). I'm so glad I did. They both talked about what they liked about it, how they felt and all on their own identified that they had felt the Holy Ghost and liked feeling the Spirit. My hope is that we can continue to provide opportunities for them to feel and recognize the Spirit. They will be so much more prepared for what is to come in the future if they can feel confident in their ability to recognize how He speaks to them. Their response will be so much quicker - they will be able to move into action instead of wondering what to do next because they're not sure about what they just felt/thought. I will always remember spending the evening with my girls. (We had other adventures too...like walking to the park, visiting the ducks, talking, having exactly what they wanted for dinner - because they had such a simple request and sharing laughs...and certainly, feeling the Spirit in our home and in ourselves.)
There were some great messages and I truly benefitted from all of the messages and music. Layne asked if there was a 'living with trials' thing going on. I noticed a few talks that spoke about death and losing loved ones...just a couple of tissues on some of those. I love the feeling that's in our home right now. We'll see how long it lasts into tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. I am glad you guys had such a great weekend together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I shed some tears on your behalf too. There did seem to be a theme, not one I was thrilled with, but fitting of course. I'm grateful for modern day counsel and a prophet who reminds me that the Lord is mindful of me, and to be grateful for our blessings.

    ReplyDelete