His Blog

His Blog

Thursday, March 19, 2015

Real Life Scheduling

Today I have been sad about the realization that we will be missing Megan's birthday, Rachel's first recital, and not being here for the boys on free comic book day. I feel like there are so many things we miss because we're working on trying to get help for Layne. I want to get him what he needs - but, I also want to be there with and for my kids. I feel like I'm missing out. I know some people would call it silly because we homeschool and I see more of my kids than other people might - but, that doesn't mean I'm fine with missing a birthday or a recital. (Free comic book day - I'm more ok with missing that one. The reason I feel bad about that one is because the boys look forward to it every year and sometimes it has been tricky to work it into the schedule. I only feel bad about it because it's important to them. The other things are important to the child and to me.) I want to be there for the kids and what's important to them. I want to be there for the experiences and the memories.
I feel bad about the things that the kids miss out on in order for us to go do what we need to do. I feel bad that they are forced to make sacrifices for something that they have no control over. It wasn't their choice to have their father have cancer.

2 comments:

  1. No, it wasn't their choice. Nor was it yours or Layne's. I feel bad for them too. There is really nothing helpful to say to this except that I know you are doing the absolute best you can, and the time you are getting together as a family really does count, even if there are things that have to be missed. But I realize it just stinks all around. I'm so sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry to think about you missing these important things too. Cancer just sucks. :-(

    ReplyDelete